Monday, September 21, 2009

Thin email Client

One of the main problems in litigation readiness is to save mails and other is the duplication of mails in systems that affect the process. Employees store their emails locally and in the server also.

The problem is that emails are stored in two places and server spaces decrease day by day. Gmail has the ownership of all the emails in their server; likewise a company can also own the emails.

There is another problems in service based industry, while I was working with TCS I had two mail accounts, one is from TCS and other from my clients. I have to respond my clients through the client's account and TCS specified mail through TCS account. Here in this case though TCS is a stakeholder in the joint project, it does not have ownership or access to the emails that we sent to the clients and when I approached their Infrastructure maintenance people to add clients email to redirect to our server, they said that "according to policy of TCS it is not possible". Here the company's own email policy is a great hindrance to the litigation readiness.

One way is to create thin client based on the customer usage. Customer here refers to the employees who use the email system.

Based on the usage of the customer the thin clients can be designed. Employees more often send documents, spreadsheets and images as attachment. Gmail has made possible to attach an image on the body of the mail itself, if an efficient thin mail client can be designed such a way that drag and drop of the attachment is possible and some other rich text editing is possible then we can design a thin client email system.

I consider Gmail as thin client system, because I receive my mails for other IDs in Gmail along with my emails sent to my Gmail account. So I think Gmail as my email client and it can be opened from anywhere provided I should have internet connection.

My mails are all stored in one place. If this type of architecture can be followed in Companies then litigation readiness can be confined or concentrated to a single place and it will be easy for the organization to have control over all the mails.


 

No comments: